More on the Gamer Personality Survey

Okay, so far some interesting  information is emerging from the gamer personality survey here.

My categories still need  some honing but seeing a lot of overlap in certain areas– for instance as expected, the people who come from Shamus’ site (Shamus regular readers) tend to be similar to him in their  reasons for playing games in general.   This was expected.  A lot more Story/Aesthetics players than I would expect if I  went to the EA games or XBox Live forums and asked them to choose.

The following are the  characteristics that need renamed or broken up based on where I am seeing confusion over terms.  Down the line I want to add higher level categories that combines the more detailed ones so they can be grouped by type.  For right now I am just trying to figure out phrasing and types and make sure I am not missing any.  Also eventually I want all the characteristic titles to line up so you could use them interchangeably in a sentence and have them make sense; i.e. “I play for____ “or “I am a ____ player” or “I love to____”.

I think Goal needs to be divided into designer created goals and personal goals .  Also Goal needs agame breaking added to the explanation because game breaking is a type of internal motivation.

I think Comfort needs to be divided into Nostalgia and Comfort.

Achievement needs a better explanation.  For instance grades in school are achievement based.  So is being on the honor role.  I need to clarify that and make it clear that it is different from goals.  (For example– grades and honor role did nothing for me in school but I made it a goal to read all of the books in the young adult section of our library in a summer and did.)  Maybe just focus on Achievement and Goal with Goal being personal motivation and Acheivement being  the arbitrary?  Not sure about that.) And all of these would be lumped under motivation.  Maybe intrinsic motivation vs external?

I need to rephrase and divide Reflex into Brain related and Physical– probably go with Chris’ Kinesthetic plus something tho imply brain tickling of some sort.  Need to think on that some more.   (Suggestions welcome.)

Explore needs a  better explanation that includes not just exploring a world but also exploring all the possibilities.

Risk needs clarified (and I think rephrased.)  All risk involves some form of gambling (taking a gamble that you won’t fail against some random event) however there are varying levels of risk.  Some people want none at all (i.e. turn off all random events if possible.)  Some prefer a little bit, others prefer full out gambling.

Optimization needs clarifying.  Optimization is almost a subset of goal but is important enough to be on the same tier.  Makes me wonder if Goal needs to be a higher tier description of a group of these, not sure.)  Optimization would include trying to perfect the game play, trying to fill your box in minecraft perfectly, replaying to find all the best solutions, etc.

So that is where I am right now and what I am considering.  Input welcome.  I also plan on going back and recording the results so far so I can see the patterns emerge better.  I need to simplify and clarify the characteristics so far,  read back through the comments I have already and garner more once I have clarified things.  Down the road I want to have a hierarchy if I can see the pattern, and possibly come up with questions to help a gamer decide which elements are key (if the person is the sort who doesn’t naturally analyze things.)

Regardless I think it is a healthy conversation to have and ponder since it reminds all involved that we are all in gaming for a variety of reasons and just because Joe Schmoe next door  doesn’t think story is important doesn’t mean his reason for playing is any less valid.

Advertisements

1 Comment (+add yours?)

  1. hborrgg
    May 21, 2012 @ 20:38:51

    I think reflex could possibly be explained as honing or showing off skills. When I played Poacher there were a lot of frustrating parts that killed me over and over, but once I got past them it really was fun to go back to previous parts and realize that I actually had gotten way better.

    As for risk, recently I’ve found that I have a lot of fun trying to ‘play’ probabilities. If option A has a 75% chance of giving you $10 and option B has a 25% chance to give you $100 then option B is statistically superior depending on the exact situation. Other than that I like randomness when it makes a game more dynamic and unpredictable. I like to face brand new situations and start thinking in terms of “what precautions can I take to minimize my risk of failure” instead of “I already know where the bad guys will spawn, where to place my mines, exactly where to point my gun, so I’ll just do that again. . . and win again. . . woo. . .”
    So it’s part optimization, part mental mathematics, part intuition, part exploring new things etc.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: